subtitle

Life as the textile expert at a regional history museum

Sunday, June 23, 2013

Things Keeping Me Busy

I feel like every other week I'm apologizing for being behind on blogging. I also really want to do a post about Howard Blair, but I haven't had a chance yet to go through the recordings of the interview I did. I could launch into a complaint about how busy I am, but that would be a bit of an exaggeration. It's not like I'm raising children, working multiple jobs, or writing a dissertation. I just have a weekend routine when it comes to blogging and when it gets disrupted I have a hard time bouncing back. So here are some of the oh-so-important things that have been putting me off my blogging groove.

1. I housesat for some people for a week and forgot what they told me about accessing the wireless network. Watched TV instead.

Don't remember what it was, but probably something educational and empowering

2. I had a BIRTHDAY


Which meant that I bought myself some awesome shoes and ate lots of poppy seeds



3. And then I found out (in the form of a gift from my mother) that someone wrote an academic book about the Amish romance novel phenomenon.


It has the pun-errific title The Thrill of the Chaste and it is so good. If you need a primer on my fascination with the genre, you can read my previous posts here and here.

4. My cousin graduated from Seattle University and his family came out from Boston to celebrate. For such a long time I thought of Ben as this little kid running around at the family reunions but now he is this mega-tall, deep voiced 20-something who is using his film-studies degree to make music videos for aspiring rap stars. Seriously. The facebook page for his production company (Altrac productions- for all the hardcore underground Seattle musicians reading this blog) says their mission is "To film some raw shit."

But actually, if you click on that link and watch some of the videos, they are quite impressive. Beautifully filmed and edited so that some of that shit doesn't actually look so raw after all.

Also impressive? I really wasn't lying about him being mega-tall.

ALERT: GAGGLE OF ADORABLE REDHEADS
To give a point of reference-- his older brother Peter (far right) is not Tom Cruise-sized but is, in fact, over six feet tall.

5. The Northwest Girlchoir is celebrating it's 40th anniversary this year and asked alums to come back and sing for their end of the year concert. It was a lot of fun, but when the former director went to the mic to talk about how proud she was to see the organization thriving and how the alums are living proof of the choir's ability to build character and create strong, confident women...she started to get choked up which was just the beginning of a chain reaction.


And then we had to pull it together and still sing.

So, in summary, haven't been blogging because I got held up by: trashy reality TV, poppy seeds, Amish people, redheads, feelings.

Sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment