subtitle

Life as the textile expert at a regional history museum

Saturday, March 1, 2014

Inventory Progress, Successful Human Interactions and SPMWDH

I had it pretty good this week.

On Monday I got to put up a very exciting sign:


BOOM! The inventory project is on a ROLL.

Later that day I had a bit of a reality check. A former volunteer (who is moving back to the East Coast- *sob*) had brought her husband in to show where she had been working all this time. She asked about the inventory and I gleefully walked her back…into this giant room…past rows and rows of tall shelving bays….to point out…ONE tiny shelf.

Well, it's a start.

On Tuesday I got to be the collections representative at a meeting about a future exhibit in the Community Gallery-- a partnership with the Washington State Jewish Historical Society. The registrar Kristin (who usually gets recruited for meetings like that) was happy to hand over the reins but also rather apprehensive. As a longtime museum employee, she has mastered the art of the diplomatic "no." I have not. I think she was a little worried that my enthusiasm and inexperience would result in me somehow agreeing to plan, organize, and install the entire show.


Fortunately I kept my mouth shut for most of the meeting (a major feat for a chatterbox like me) which accomplished both my goals of 1) not signing on for projects I have no business doing and 2) not going off on a tangent about Joanna Eckstein and her couture wardrobe WHICH WE HAVE IN THE MOHAI COLLECTION


The week was a bit rougher for my roommate Olivia, who was housebound and miserable due to her broken ankle. Each evening I would come home and try to cheer her up and pick something silly to watch. When we discovered that the new Thor movie was coming out on DVD this week, I actually went to the video store and put my name on the wait list so that we could spend the evening having out lives brightened by Tom Hiddleston. 

(Yes, there is an actual independent video store in our neighborhood and it is totally intimidating to ask the super-cool hipster clerks for things like "Thor" and "Miss Congeniality." When I managed to talk to one of them and somehow come across as funny and normal, I totally felt like:
)

Anyway, we watched Thor 2 and decided that it was basically a gibberish movie except when Tom Hiddleston was on screen. 


It was all like BLAH BLAH BLAH evil guys with braids BLAH guys with swords BLAH also spaceships and lasers somehow BLAH BLAH BLAH Natalie Portman kissing some magical dude on a fantasy planet thinking "Wasn't I already in this movie? It was called Star Wars and it was also kind of bad" BLAH BLAH BLAH Subtitles for weird fake elf language BLAH BLAH BLAH Is that Idris Elba? Why would you put someone so aggressively good looking in a costume where you can barely see his face?!?!?! BLAH BLAH BLAH EXPLOSIONS

And then Loki has a scene and it is like you are watching some sort of nuanced Shakespearean drama.


Other than museum work, fashion, and Seattle, I'm realizing one of the sub-themes emerging on this blog is Sassy Pale Men With Dark Hair. In fact, I think I am going to make that a tag right now. That way you can have easy access to all my posts which mention Tom Hiddleston as Loki, Benedict Cumberbatch as Sherlock, skating fashion plate Johnny Weir, and Dmitry Sholokhov from Project Runway.

(The fact that all of the above are either fashionable gay men or emotionally unavailable sociopaths makes me think that tag is going to get used a lot with "single life.")

No comments:

Post a Comment