subtitle

Life as the textile expert at a regional history museum

Sunday, May 3, 2015

The Many Faces of the Shoe Inventory

The inventory of the shoe collection is almost done! It has been interesting and exciting, and I've gotten emotionally invested in some of the discoveries. My volunteers and interns have become familiar with my shoe-related mood swings.

Here are the four most common emotional states of the shoe inventory:

When a gorgeous pair of shoes in perfect condition turns out to have no Seattle story whatsoever:


We can keep them for "study" purposes...or something...

When a pair of shoes that are stained and falling apart turn out to have a rare Seattle label:


Can we not pay the light bill for a month and put some more money in the conservation fund?

When a pair of shoes that are in poor condition have a non-local label and the database says explicitly that they were worn on the other side of the country. 


DEACCESSION CANDIDATE

When a gorgeous pair of shoes are in excellent condition and have clear Seattle provenance:



I may have screamed "WALLIN & NORDSTROM!!!" while peering into a pair of boots on Friday. 

1 comment:

  1. I am going through all of these feels in our collection! Looove that deaccession candidate feeling. I mean, I mean, I'm a nice person who doesn't like cleaning out boxes, more pieces to keep please.

    ReplyDelete